Monday, April 4, 2016

Fluffy, Light Biscuits

My in-laws come over every Saturday morning and eat breakfast with us. My father-in-law especially loves my biscuits. It took me a long time to learn how to make them light and fluffy.  I have heard a lot of people say they can't make biscuits. I don't think it's so much not being able to make them, as much as not having the right flour. I can use the very same recipe but different flour, and they are not as good. The White Lily Unbleached flour makes the lightest biscuits.

3 cups White Lily Flour
1 stick butter
4 TBS shortening
1-1/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450.
Cut the butter and shortening into the flour.
Add the buttermilk and mix until incorporated.
Turn out onto floured surface.
Put some flour on top so that you can handle it.
Smooth it out to about one inch thick.
Cut with a biscuit cutter or glass.
Put in cast iron pan (for best results) and bake  for about 13 minutes or until golden brown.
Brush the tops with butter.

2 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful! I love biscuits...not that I need them. LOL! But, this recipe sounds simple, so I may have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog many years ago, when you had to stop. I am SO glad to see you blogging again. I have always loved your recipes! Trying your biscuits for sure!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10 01 09 10