Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Mexican Cornbread


Someone told me about Mexican Cornbread and how good it was so I decided to give it a try. After doing some searching and reading comments, I started with the basic recipe from here and did some adding to that others said was good additions. The original  recipe makes a 9x13 but I cut it in half to make an 8 inch skillet. The changes I made to this recipe is that I added jalapenos, pepper jack cheese and minced onions.  This was a big hit at our house. If you want it hotter, just add more jalapenos.

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 of 15 oz can cream corn
1-1/2 oz. chopped green chili peppers, drained
1/4 cup pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp. jalapeno, with seeds, diced
2 TBS minced onions
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 300. Grease an 8 inch pan or cast iron skillet.

Beat the butter and sugar together.

Add eggs.

Blend in corn, chilies, cheeses, jalapeno, onion.

Add cornmeal and flour, salt and baking powder.

Pour into pan and bake one hour or until done.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10 01 09 10