Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Purpose of Making Money


When I was a teenager, I worked for just one dollar an hour and I thought that was good! When I turned 16, I quit school and got a factory job and I thought that was really good money. But then I got married and  had to pay bills and then we had a family. For many years the goal of making money was just to get the bills paid before they were late. I was not raised in a Christian home, so I had never been taught the purpose of money and what God thinks about it. As long as I had the mind set of making money to pay the bills, well, there was just never enough. We always seemed to need more for one thing or another. But then, God did a work in my heart.  He showed me that it was not our money at all, but that it all belonged to him. Some people think giving 10% to God is a lot, but it's all his. If we had no money and we had to live off of someone else for a while, we wouldn't just go out and buy every thing we wanted at the spur of a moment. We would make sure we needed it and that we got the best price and that we asked the giver of the money what he thought. The money God gives to us, is his. We should ask him before we spend. We should  ask ourselves if God would be pleased with what we are buying. How many of us  waste so much money, that we could give to missions or a ministry or our church?  I have a totally different view of money.  Instead of eating out I think, "I could give that to a missionary!" What things could we do without, that we don't really need?  What things do we buy, that are just selfish indulgences? The way we spend our money, shows God where our hearts are. What do you spend your money on? Do you see it as God's money or yours?  When we stand before God, is he going to be happy with the way we spent the money he gave us while here? Will there be any eternal rewards because we sacrificed something we wanted to give to further God's kingdom? 

3 comments:

  1. Good post. That 10% belongs to God first and foremost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good thought provoking post.

    Thank you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lesson on stewardship.

    The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
    (Psalms 24:1 KJV)

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10 01 09 10