Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Very Good Granola Bars

I've had a good recipe for granola bars, but they were kinda crumbly. So when I saw this one yesterday, I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. They held together good and the honey was not over whelming, as some granola bars I've tried have been. This is the perfect blend! I found the recipe at Tammy's Every Day Recipes.


3/4 cup (1 -1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
4 -1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium-size mixing bowl, cream together the butter, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. (I use an electric mixer for this step.)
2. Add flour, baking soda, and oats. Stir until well-mixed. (Mixing with clean hands works great for this step.) Mixture will be a soft, fluffy, and somewhat crumbly. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Press mixture into a lightly-greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 18-22 minutes, until edges are just starting to brown. Remove from oven and place dish on wire rack to cool.
4. After granola bars have cooled for 10 minutes, use a smooth-bottomed measuring cup or glass to press the bars flat. (Pressing while too hot will smear chocolate everywhere!) Allow to finish cooling and then cut into 18 bars using a pizza cutter or thin sharp knife.

2 comments:

  1. Such an easy recipe you've found. Going to share this with my readers. BTW, love that green dish you're displaying it on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...I used to make homemade granola bars all the time when my kids were young. Easy way to get some healthy oats into them, and also satisfy their sweet tooth! And so much better for them than the store bought stuff!

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10 01 09 10