Thursday, August 2, 2012

Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes

I had read this recipe years ago, but it just didn't seem like something I would like, because it has cream cheese in them! But last Sunday we were having church dinner and my kids wanted me to bring some mashed potatoes. Well, mashed potatoes are not something easy to keep that long in the crock pot without drying out, so I decided to give these a try. I am SO glad I did.  These were the best tasting mashed potatoes I've ever had! They didn't even need any butter on them.  They kept well in the crock pot too. The only thing I changed, is that I didn't put an egg in them. I will be making these at Thanksgiving for sure. It'll be one less thing I'll have to do before putting my food on the table.

  • 5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • enough milk to make consistency desired
Cook the potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until they are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well and return to dry pot. 
Then mash until there are no lumps. Beat in the cream cheese,  onion powder, salt, pepper and butter and add enough milk to make it smooth. Place potatoes in a  9x13" baking dish or a bowl. Cool for 20 minutes, cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Take potatoes out of refrigerator about 3-1/2 hours before serving time. Place in crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours, stirring once or twice. They can be held an additional 30 minutes or more. 15 servings

1 comment:

  1. What a marvelous idea! You know I prepare dishes for our Thursday night domino group and this would make an ideal side dish for many menus. It's a keeper and I'll let you know when I get to try it. Tonight I'm making the salad.

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10 01 09 10