Monday, April 23, 2012

Old Settlers' Baked Beans

My sister-in-law has been telling me about these beans for years, that her sister-in-law makes. But every time she would go home, she would forget to get the recipe for me. So a couple of weeks ago they were down and again, she was telling me about these beans. So I had her email her from my house for the recipe. I made these this weekend for a cook out we had and everyone loved them.


1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans, undrained
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed  and drained
1 (16 ounce) can Great Northern beans,  rinsed and drained

In a large skillet, cook beef, bacon and onion until meat is done and onion is tender. Drain any fat. Combine all remaining ingredients except beans. Add to meat mixture; mix well. Stir in beans. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. casserole. Bake, covered, at 350  for 1 hour or until heated through.

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy, these beans look good. I enjoy trying new recipes, especially beans, barbecue or anything that works well for outdoor get togethers. Have a great day and come on over for a visit. Steve (I'm a blogging new-be)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good -- I'm copying it into my Pepperplate. For similar types of beans, a friend gave me a recipe years ago that remains a favorite at church functions. Thought you might like it:
    http://recipecollecting.blogspot.com/2009/10/sweet-and-sour-baked-bean.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, My husband has been telling me about your great bean recipe, so I thought I better pop over for a visit and check them out. Yum!!! I'm sure these will be served at our next backyard barbecue. Please accept my invitation to come over and visit my blog, hopefully you will decide to follow me too. Have a great day and keep posting these scrumptious recipes. Your newest follower, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10 01 09 10