Saturday, December 17, 2011

Neti Pot Warning

For those of you who use the Neti pot, as I do, please hear this warning. I had read earlier this year about a young man dying after using the Neti pot. There is a dangerous bacteria that can be in our pipes, that is not harmful to swallow, but deadly if it gets lodged in our nasal passages.  Only 1 person has ever survived after having this. Since reading that this summer, I only use distilled water in my pot now. It was in the news today about another woman who has died after getting this from using her tap water in the neti pot. You can read the article here on CNN.

2 comments:

  1. I read that, too, yesterday. They both appeared to have used tap water instead of distilled. My Beloved Husband has to use a Bi-PAP machine, which forces oxygen into lungs when sleeping, and the therapist was adamant about using distilled water only when dealing with nasal passages. There's no problem with using the Neti pot, but it must be used correctly. A very good warning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I saw this on Yahoo News yesterday & told my co-workers at the health food store. We sell so many of these & our 20yr old daughter uses a nebulizer when asthma kicks up. So, we tell ppl to only use distilled water or water that has been boiled for 3 minutes & then cooled down.

    One more thing to be careful of in our "clean, sanitized" water systems. :-/

    Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10 01 09 10